The school nurse team promotes good health by providing skilled nursing to Essex Tech students. They facilitate success and well-being by promoting health and safety, intervening with actual and potential health problems, by providing case management services, and by building student and family capacity for adaptation, self-management, self-advocacy and life-long learning.
We cover a broad range of support services, including documenting health components for Individual Education Programs and 504 Accommodation Plans. We provide health education, social welfare referrals, health insurance referrals, dental referrals, and we guide and develop health policies, nutritional guidance and encourage staff wellness. The daily operations cover the health and well-being of the entire student body and staff.
- We evaluate and assess health care needs:
- First aid for injuries and initial care for illness for students and staff
- Assessment of students health, growth and development
- Detection, treatment, and follow-up on health issues interfering with student learning
- Referrals to parent or physician as necessary
- We conduct State-Mandated Health Screenings.
- We review physical exams and immunization records provided by physicians. These are required for every student upon admission and are updated annually for athletes.
- We are responsible for communicable disease reporting and control.
- We monitor student compliance with state laws
- We identify locations for free, required immunizations
- We are responsible for medication administration:
- In-school prescription medicine administration per school policy
- Assessment and monitoring of medication effects for students on medications
For students with special health care needs, we are the liaisons. We collaborate with home, school, health care providers and community resources. We promote staff training on specific medical issues, as needed.
We make appropriate recommendations to school or district administration and the Board of Health to maintain optimal health and safety of students and staff.
We share responsibility for crisis intervention and education and are active participants in awareness training and appropriate response to crises.
As flu season approaches, Essex Tech would like to provide education on influenza. For the most up-to-date information concerning influenza and additional resources, please visit the MDPH flu web site at www.mass.gov/flu or call 617-983-6800. The Massachusetts Department of Public Health’s (MDPH) Immunization Program also created a resource entitled Flu Guide for Parents in English, Spanish, and Portuguese .